Floor Cushions Complete!

floor cushions

This photo says it all--I'm so glad to finally be done sewing these! The cushions themselves were from a pretty simple tutorial at Living with Punks, but when I couldn't find any home decor fabric prints that I liked I decided I'd embroider solid colors instead. The actual embroidering was pretty easy (although a little slow-going), the hardest part was figuring out what to designs to create--I wanted images that would grow with the kids for a while; here's what I came up with:

floor cushions

Dandelions for Eleanor,

floor cushions

Retro-looking cars and trucks for Liam (based on some images I found online),

floor cushions
And paper airplanes for Skyler (also based on online images).

floor cushions

And instead of stuffing them with polyfil, I decided to use up some of the giant bags of scraps I have from the local sewing shop. The good news was that I was able to use up nearly two entire bags full of scraps (it feels good to lighten up the stash a little only four or five bags left!), the bad news is that they're a little lumpier than I prefer. Eleanor's probably came out the best because it was made with canvas/duckcloth and doesn't show the lumpiness as much, but the other two are a multi-purpose home decor material that's a bit thinner and not as forgiving. 

Another side effect of using the fabric scraps was that the cushions turned out super heavy. I didn't realize they would be so heavy at first, but figure it'll keep the kids from swinging them all over the place and wacking each other with them! I may eventually go back and stuff them with polyfil, but I'm happy to keep the bumps and bruises at a minimum (ha!) for now. 

floor cushions

floor cushions

On to the next project!


Related Posts with Thumbnails