Here's a project I was able to start and finish after the kids were in bed (apart from prewashing the fabric during the day). I had some sort of weird nursing cape that I used from time to time with Eleanor, but more often than not I ended up just using one of her receiving blankets for discreet nursing in public.
Well, after seeing numerous tutorials online, I decided to try this one out from Prudent Baby. It was hard getting good pictures of the finished results, but it's kind of an awkward item. Similar nursing covers sell retail for $30 and up, but I was able to by all the materials (with a couple coupons) for under $8! And I definitely had a bigger selection in fabric choices! This would make an awesome shower gift and you could even whip up some matching burp rags.